And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth: And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.Genesis 14:19-20
Dear Church and Friends,
Even though we are stuck at home there are many things competing for our attention. Maybe more things because we are at home! They demand a gift, “Aren’t you going to listen to me, watch me, read me, love me, hate me.” You know the routine.
Today in Genesis 14 we find Abram in a worship setting. He is before Melchizedek and the King of Salem is blessing him. He blesses Abram in the name of the Lord and then blesses the Lord who delivered victory to the patriarch. At the end of the scene Abram gives a tenth of all he took in battle to the Lord.
Then, a second voice is heard. The peckish sound of the king of Sodom asking, “Where’s mine?” While Sodom is gone and that king long dead, his voice is still heard. Sin, flesh and the word dress up in the robes of Sodom and demand a gift. Abram had just given his tithe when the Sodomite cries out for something too.
Don’t be moved by the request of Sodom. Give your all to the most High God, possessor of heaven and earth.
Prayer Requests: Please pray for our missionary, Rob Wilton. Also, be in prayer for Karen’s Uncle Bernie who is having his kidney removed today as well as a cancerous growth from the kidney to the bladder.
Catechism: The Principles of the Christian Religion.
- Question 43: What punishment is mankind subject to, by reason of original and actual sin?
- Answer: He is subject to all the plagues of God in this life, and endless torments in hell after this life.
- Question 44: Did God leave man in this woeful estate?
- Answer: No. but of his free and undeserved mercy entered into a new covenant with mankind.
- Question 45: What is offered unto man in this new covenant?
- Answer: Grace and life everlasting is freely offered by God unto all that be made partakers of his Son, Jesus Christ; who alone is mediator between God and man.
“The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.”
All my best.
And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself.Genesis 14:21