Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.Matthew 25:1-2
Dear Church and Friends,
Were you ready when the shutdown hit? I don’t think any of us were. Today’s passage speaks to readiness and is found in Matthew 25:1-13. This is the parable of the five wise and the five foolish virgins.
The foolishness of the second five is related to their preparation. Apparently, they thought they could get away with a poorly maintained lamp. They didn’t. I think our current situation is a wake-up call for us. Perhaps,we’ve not taken care of our discipleship like we should have.
I’m sure when we come out of this we will all have stories of how the Lord refined us and sifted us to draw us closer to Himself. We mustn’t put off going deeper in prayer and devotion. We must be strong and stand for Christ. The church has come under more attack in the last four weeks than it has in years.
“Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil” (Eph 6:10-11). [See, also, verses 12-18.]
Music: The Darkest Hour, performed by Tim Kennedy.
Poetry: Matthew Twenty Four Nine, by Edmond.
Prayer Requests: Please pray for the GenSend program of the North American Mission Board.
- Pray also for sister churches in our association.
- Pray for our Sharonville neighboring churches (New Life, Sharonville UMC, True Holiness, Church by the Woods, and Freedom Church).
- Pray for the pastors of these assemblies.
Catechism: The Principles of the Christian Religion.
- Question 69: What is the first commandment?
- Answer: I am the Lord thy God which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
- Question 70: What duty is enjoined in this commandment?
- Answer: That in all the inward powers and faculties of our souls, the true eternal God be entertained and He only.
“Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.”
All my best.
Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.Matthew 25:13