(For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)2 Peter 2:8
Dear Church and Friends,
Was Sodom destroyed in the conflagration of fire that overtook the cities of the plain? The physical city was but it forever stands as a archetype for the corruption of the world. It can be said that as Lot lived in a real city called Sodom so the church lives in a spiritual Sodom.
Today we examine Genesis 19 and find lesson learned from Just Lot about living there? He gives us so much to consider.
- He is a judge sitting in the gate. His righteous wisdom must have tempered the unrestrained wickedness around him.
- He was in the gate at evening. Well after the business of the day, Lot stayed at his post to help the working men and women with their cases.
- He stood before the angels. Judges didn’t stand, people stood before them. In this way we see that Lot recognized the angels’ authority and position as greater than his.
- He offered them hospitality and insisted they take it. He knew what might happen to them if they stayed in the street all night.
- He made a feast for them. He goes above and beyond to honor his guests. Notice that he serves them unleavened bread.
- He place himself between the men of Sodom and the angels. He is willing to sacrifice all to protect them, even offering his daughters to the wild mob.
Lot models for us in just a few verses how a righteous person should conduct themselves when living in Sodom. Later in the chapter we see how Lot falls down. He has to be carried out of Sodom by the angels. He allowed Sodom to worm its way into his heart, but not as much as his wife.
Let’s not be shy about living for Jesus in a fallen world. They need the church to stand for righteousness and not against it.
Music: Come Behold the Wondrous Mystery (a capella) by Doxology.
Prayer Requests: Please remember the following in your prayers.
- Cottingham Retirement and Nursing Facility has been hit hard by the Covid-19 virus. Please pray for the residents and for Mrs. Hannah Paul who serves there are a nurse.
- Miss Casey Warren is having Gall Bladder surgery today. Please pray for safety and a speedy recovery.
hours minutes seconds
Wednesday Night Bible Study Returns October 7, 2020 @ 7 PM
Question 16: What brought them down from that blessed state?
Answer: Satan, and their own inconsistency.
Question 17: How were they brought to that inconsistency?
Answer: Through familiar conference with Satan against the Word.
Question 18: What did Satan first want form them?
Answer: Distrust and contempt of God’s Word.
“Greet ye one another with a kiss of charity. Peace be with you all that are in Christ Jesus. Amen.”
All my best.
And he said, Behold now, my lords, turn in, I pray you, into your servant’s house, and tarry all night, and wash your feet, and ye shall rise up early, and go on your ways. And they said, Nay; but we will abide in the street all night.Genesis 19:2