But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man’s wife.Genesis 20:3
Dear Church and Friends,
When a road sign that tells me that the road is closed, bridge is out, or the water is too high I am silently grateful. (Although, sometimes I grumble at the inconvenience, but don’t tell anybody that.) The sign is there for a reason and it has my safety in mind.
In Genesis 20:1-11 the Lord gives a warning to Abimelech. This is a great grace to him and his kingdom. God tells him that death waits for him if he continues to keep Sarah in his harem. The Lord is merciful in three ways:
- The first road sign is graphic and meant to grab his attention. “Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man’s wife.”
- The second road sign reveals the love of God in that God knows his heart. “Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart.”
- The third road sign shows the providential hand of God. “For I also withheld thee from sinning against me: therefore suffered I thee not to touch her.”
We may never know how many times the Lord restrained us from sinning out of our own ignorance. What a grace! If the Lord showed this much care for Abimelech how much more will he show it for one of his children? The key is, once the danger has been revealed don’t detour just to get past the signs. “If thou restore her not, know thou that thou shalt surely die, thou, and all that are thine.”
Music: I Have Found the Way by Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver.
Prayer Requests: Please pray for the following.
- Linda Gilton a friend of the Renners. She is having spine surgery next Friday, May 29, 2020.
- Lift up her daughter, Kelly who won’t be able to visit her mother in the hospital.
- The people of Central Taiwan. Pray that evangelism and discipleship training opportunities in central Taiwan churches will help more people become healthy disciples who will increase the health of many churches. Training serves to equip pastors, leaders, and members to reach into their communities with God’s Word, sharing the Good News of restoration with God and helping them to gain freedom from fear and darkness — from the bondage of idolatry and ancestor worship. Pray that these churches will bring God’s light into their communities, piercing and extinguishing the darkness.
hours minutes seconds
Wednesday Night Bible Study Returns October 7, 2020 @ 7 PM
Question 39: May natural men do many good deeds?
Answer: Yet they cannot please God without faith.
Question 40: Why did God allow this fall of man?
Answer: For the declaration of His mercy and justice.
Question 41: Explain that.
Answer: By His mercy the chosen are delivered, and the rest punished by His justice.
“He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.”
All my best.
Then Abimelech called Abraham, and said unto him, What hast thou done unto us? and what have I offended thee, that thou hast brought on me and on my kingdom a great sin? thou hast done deeds unto me that ought not to be done.Genesis 20:9
Join the Bible Bistro Mailing List
Get notified of menu changes in the Bistro that include. . .
- New book releases.
- New teaching content.
- Changes to the website.