And when Esau heard the words of his father, he cried with a great and exceeding bitter cry, and said unto his father, Bless me, even me also, O my father.Genesis 27:34
Dear Church and Friends,
Why is it that we think we can live as we want to and still receive God’s blessing, still call ourselves Christian, and still use the word disciple? Esau’s careless behavior and poor choices speak against his receiving Isaac’s blessing. The following verses give us an idea about how he treated the promise of God.
- He was a practical man and couldn’t be bothered with a future blessing that might not come. “And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me?” Genesis 25:32.
- He had a way that was not his father’s way or Abraham’s way. “Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentiles; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright” (Genesis 25:34).
- Instead of thinking of the future of his family, he thinks only of his own desire. “And Esau was forty years old when he took to wife Judith the daughter of Beeri the Hittite, and Bashemath the daughter of Elon the Hittite: Which were a grief of mind unto Isaac and to Rebekah” (Genesis 26:34-35).
So when it came time for Isaac to bless him why should he expect to receive it. It was an inconvenience previously. How many tears are shed over a missed blessing that were not shed over sin in his life? Now the gravity of the situation comes home and his sorrow is not of a godly variety.
How many people live life just like they want to and never look to Christ. These are folk that call themselves Christian but never darken the door of a church. And when they stand before the throne to answer for themselves they will cry for a blessing that is long gone.
Music: We Will Feast in the House of Zion by Sandra McCracken.
Prayer Requests: Please pray for the following:
- Daryle Hines who is having Ear, Nose and Throat Surgery today.
- Bruce Floyd, Kathy Renner’s brother, who is having a heart cath procedure today.
- Mindy Hammonds’ father, brother, and family as they navigate illness and surgery.
Catechism: Craig’s Catechism (1581) [4. The First Part of God’s Honor.]
Question 108: Is it enough to believe that there is a God?
Answer: No, but we must know who the true God is.
Question 109: How can we know that?
Answer: By His promise and works done for our comfort
Question 110: What does He promise to us?
Answer: To be our loving Father and Savior?
All my best.
And he said, Is not he rightly named Jacob? for he hath supplanted me these two times: he took away my birthright; and, behold, now he hath taken away my blessing. And he said, Hast thou not reserved a blessing for me?Genesis 27:36
Join the Bible Bistro Mailing List
Get notified of menu changes in the Bistro that include. . .
- New book releases.
- New teaching content.
- Changes to the website.