And when the Lord saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren.Genesis 29:31
Dear Church and Friends,
The statute of Lady Justice stands with a Bible in one hand, scales in the other, and a blindfold over her eyes. The blindfold represent impartiality, which is very important for men. We can be persuaded by our prejudices. God however, cannot be so moved.
The story of Jacob’s service to Laban is one of abuse and dysfunction. So many things go wrong in all the relationships that even if you took the blindfold off you could never untangle all the knots.
Yet, nothing is too hard for God. He looks down on the happenings at Laban’s and brings justice to Leah. Despised by her father and her husband, the Lord gives her joy in bearing children. Listen to how she extols the Lord in the naming of her boys.
- Reuben: “Surely the Lord hath looked upon my affliction; now therefore my husband will love me.”
- Simeon: “Because the Lord hath heard that I was hated, he hath therefore given me this son also.”
- Levi: “Now this time will my husband be joined unto me, because I have born him three sons.”
- Judah: “Now will I praise the Lord.”
She knows who is on her side when everyone else is not. These verses also tell us about the depth of emotional abuse she was under. No matter how bad it might be, remember that the Lord is on your side. He sees the injustice, the abuse, the manipulation and he will make it right.
What a blessing Leah has, to know that from her son Judah came the Messiah, The Son of David, The Son of Man, The Son of God. Remember in your hardest moment of the present, there is a future blessing greater than anything your heart can conceive.
Music: Satisfied in You by The Sing Team.
Prayer Request: Please pray for the following.
- Emma Gouch, who is recovered from an infection related to her bone marrow transplant surgery.
- Middle Eastern Arabs of the Southern United Kingdom. Rose* sits on a small footstool and grinds black, roasted coffee beans finely with a mortar and pestle. There is an electric coffee grinder in her kitchen, but she prefers the hard work of grinding beans by hand. The rhythmic pounding reminds her of her mother’s home in the land of her childhood, where the tradition of roasting beans over a small charcoal flame was a common practice. The smell of fresh coffee boiling makes her forget about all the unexpected hardships that her new life in the United Kingdom has brought. She misses her family and her church back home, yet she is excited about the group of women in similar situations to her own who have gathered to read from the Bible in her home. Pray for the participants of these home groups to grow deep in their understanding of the message of God, and ask that they will feel compelled to share the gospel with their unbelieving neighbors. (*name changed)
Question 121: Expound that more plainly?
Answer: By these two, we are persuaded of all the rest of His promises.
Question 122: What is meant here by heaven and earth?
Answer: All the creatures in heaven and earth.
Question 123: Of what did He make these creatures?
Answer: He made them all out of nothing by His Word.
All my best.
And he went in also unto Rachel, and he loved also Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years.Genesis 29:30
Join the Bible Bistro Mailing List
Get notified of menu changes in the Bistro that include. . .
- New book releases.
- New teaching content.
- Changes to the website.