And he said, Lift up now thine eyes, and see, all the rams which leap upon the cattle are ringstraked, speckled, and grisled: for I have seen all that Laban doeth unto thee.Genesis 31:12
Dear Church and Friends,
We are always worried that some form of Orwell’s 1984 will come true and that Big Brother will become a reality. As American’s, we chafe at the thought of someone observing our behavior and grading us according to their standard of living. That is a reality in places like China where the people are closely watched and punished for any misbehavior according to communist party’s doctrine.
However, we are comforted by the thought that God watches over us and cares for us. We’ve seen his watch care in the lives of Hagar and Ishmael. We saw it in the life of Isaac and we find it here in Jacob’s life as he leaves Padan-aram.
Jacob complains about how Laban changed his wages ten different times. God was watching that injustice and kept Laban from harming Jacob. The last phrase in verse twelve suggests that Laban is actively working to undermine Laban. (What a great father-in-law.)
- And your father hath deceived me, and changed my wages ten times; but God suffered him not to hurt me. (Genesis 31:7)
The Lord reminds Jacob of his pillar and his vow at Bethel and then gives him a command to go (verse 13). He is watching us and is with us just like he was with Jacob. For Jacob, the promise of his oversight was enough for him to obey the command to go. We are not asked to leave home but to leave the ways and love of the world and walk in His ways. He will watch over us and bless us on that journey too.
Music: Wood and Nails by The Porter’s Gate.
Prayer Requests: Please pray for the following.
- Emma Gouch, who returned to the ICU this week for complications to her bone marrow transplant.
- Joanah Renner, who passed her test last week. Praise the Lord!
- Mindy Hammonds’ father who is suffering from confusion and weakness.
- Outer Rim People of East Asia. It seems that most countries now are in the process of returning to “normal,” but of course that has been greatly redefined. Please pray for the Outer Rim countries as the number of virus cases are still soaring and have not yet peaked. Please pray for the many home fellowships, which have replaced the church services. Pray that the message will go out with great boldness and clarity these days while local Christians are engaging in relief efforts.
Catechism: Craig’s Catechism (1581) [The Second Part of God’s Honor.]
Question 140: Are the wicked excused through their good works?
Answer: No, for they work their own evil work.
Question 141: Why are they not excused, since God’s will concurs with them?
Answer: They mean one thing and God another.
Question 142: What do they mean in their actions?
Answer: A contempt of God, and hurt of His creatures.
All my best.
For all the riches which God hath taken from our father, that is ours, and our children’s: now then, whatsoever God hath said unto thee, do.Genesis 31:16
Join the Bible Bistro Mailing List
Get notified of menu changes in the Bistro that include. . .
- New book releases.
- New teaching content.
- Changes to the website.