And Shechem said unto her father and unto her brethren, Let me find grace in your eyes, and what ye shall say unto me I will give.Genesis 34:11
Dear Church and Friends,
We live in a sex soaked age. A story about rape may seem pedestrian to us. The shock factor is gone and we may look at Shechem’s story and be sympathetic toward him. He declared his love and desire for Dinah several times in Genesis 34:1-31. However, what was behind his desire and love was selfishness and greed.
- And when Shechem the son of Hamor the Hivite, prince of the country, saw her, he took her, and lay with her, and defiled her. (34:2) This is the first selfish, violent act of the story. Was anything ever withheld from this boy?
- And Shechem spake unto his father Hamor, saying, Get me this damsel to wife. (34:4) Notice that repentance doesn’t make an appearance here, but selfishness does. He wants what he wants and he wants it now and he wants daddy to get it for him.
- And Hamor communed with them, saying, The soul of my son Shechem longeth for your daughter: I pray you give her him to wife. (34:8) Daddy goes along with this because he too sees an opportunity. Hamor is after what Jacob has and sees a way to get it.
- And Shechem said unto her father and unto her brethren, Let me find grace in your eyes, and what ye shall say unto me I will give. (34:11) He will do whatever it takes to have Dinah. He’ll accept any condition except for a refusal. He won’t accept a refusal from Jacob or a refusal of his out-of-control passions.
- Shall not their cattle and their substance and every beast of theirs be ours? only let us consent unto them, and they will dwell with us. (34:23) This is how they sell the idea to the men of the city. They manipulate them with the greed of having what belongs to Jacob.
Sexual sin always begins with selfishness and greed. No one dare tell us “No!” The current sexual revolution is based on the individuals right to have whatever they want, however they want it. Our selfishness has erected an idol of rights that blesses its followers with unconditional approval. If you speak out against the idol you are label a heretic.
Shecehm’s sexual sin stands forever as a warning to us to check ourselves, deny ourselves and keep the Lord’s way. “And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself” (Matthew 22:39).
Music: Abide with Me by Jeremy Casella.
Prayer Requests: Please pray for the following.
- Theological Education in Kenya. Kenya Baptist Theological College is closed until January 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please pray for the Theological Education Team to be able to create, with godly wisdom and within the government’s health parameters, opportunities to train pastors and church leaders. Pray for the development of online access for students to continue their studies during the closure.
- Glenn Heckman, Glenda’s brother-in-law, will be having tests today to determine a drug treatment for his lung and liver cancer.
- Dan Frayne, friend of Karen Turner, who is in the hospital with difficulty breathing due to COPD.
What profit comes to us through His priesthood?
Through it He is our Mediator, and we are priests also.
How are we made priests?
By Him we have freedom to enter in before God, and offer up ourselves and all that we have.
What kind of sacrifice is this?
A sacrifice of thanksgiving only.
May we not offer Christ again for our sins?
No, for Christ cannot die again.
All my best.
Ask me never so much dowry and gift, and I will give according as ye shall say unto me: but give me the damsel to wife.Genesis 34:12
Join the Bible Bistro Mailing List
Get notified of menu changes in the Bistro that include. . .
- New book releases.
- New teaching content.
- Changes to the website.