And Rachel died, and was buried in the way to Ephrath, which is Beth–lehem.Genesis 35:19
Dear Church and Friends,
Is it possible to be blessed by God and experience suffering? We struggle with that thought because we reason that if God has blessed us then everything is blessed (i.e. growing, strong, prosperous, happy, healthy, and etc). The prosperity gospel thrives on this assumption and succeeds because of it.
If we look at Jacob’s experience from the time he saw Rachel in Genesis 29:10 until he entered into Egypt, he was a blessed man suffering. God met Jacob at Bethel and promised to be with him. He confirmed the promise to him again in 31:3, 32:28, and 35:10-12.
Yet during all that time and under the blessing of God, Jacob suffered greatly. Here are some of the ways in which he was afflicted.
- He was deceived by Laban ten times (Gen. 31:41).
- He was afraid of his brother, Esau (Gen. 32).
- His daughter Dinah was raped (Gen. 34).
- His sons slaughter the man Shechem and his entire city (Gen. 34).
- His mother’s nurse, Deborah dies (Gen. 35:8).
- His wife Rachel dies in childbirth (Gen. 35:16-20).
- His son Reuben sleeps with Jacob’s wife Bilhah (Gen. 35:22).
- His father Isaac dies (Gen. 35:27-29).
- His son Joseph was sold into slavery by his brothers (Gen. 37)
- His son Judah acts foolishly and brings shame on himself (Gen. 38).
We too will suffer in this life but if we are in Christ the blessing of God rests upon us. We can trust that the adversity we face is being used by our heavenly father to refine and train us. Nothing happens to the church that is out of the control of the Head of the Church, Jesus Christ. No matter what your challenge is today trust in the One who promised to be with you.
Music: Though You Slay Me by Shane and Shane.
Prayer Requests: Please pray for the following.
- Martin Haghani, Las Vegas, Nev. Martin Haghani planted the Iranian Baptist Church in Las Vegas, Nev. “During these uncertain times, many in our city are afraid and have nowhere to turn. That uncertainty is multiplied many times over in our Iranian refugee community. Please pray for the Iranian Baptist Church as we reach out to our Persian friends who are suffering financial difficulties from losing their jobs and income because of the coronavirus. We desire to show those in the Las Vegas area that God loves them, and they have not been forgotten. Please pray that through our outreach to them many will come to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior.”
hours minutes seconds
Wednesday Night Bible Study Returns October 7, 2020 @ 7 PM
Was He holy through her virginity?
No, since her whole nature was corrupted.
Why is she named in our belief?
That we may know His tribe and family.
How can that help in our belief?
Hereby we may know Him to be the promised Savior.
Of what tribe and house was He promised?
Of the tribe of Judah, and the house of David.
All my best.
Come, and let us sell him to the Ishmeelites, and let not our hand be upon him; for he is our brother and our flesh. And his brethren were content.Genesis 37:27
Join the Bible Bistro Mailing List
Get notified of menu changes in the Bistro that include. . .
- New book releases.
- New teaching content.
- Changes to the website.