O give thanks unto the God of heaven: for his mercy endureth for ever.Psalm 136:26
Dear Church and Friends,
Thanksgiving week is upon us in America. A time when we can thank God for the goodness he has blessed us with. As you think about the ways in which he has shown your mercy over the last year and perhaps over the course of your life, read Psalm 136. This past Sunday I preached a message on the theology of thanksgiving that we find in the psalm.
We owe our thanks to Him alone. There are no other gods, or human institutions, or political systems that deserve our thanks. He is both God and Lord. Those two ideas (God and Lord) are demonstrated throughout the Psalm as David reveals who he is. Allow me to give you a review of his list.
- Creator: Psalm 136:4-9
- Deliverer: Psalm 136:10-12
- Wonder Worker: Psalm 136:13-15
- Keeper of Israel: Psalm 136:16
- Promise Keeper: Psalm 136:17-22
- Redeemer: Psalm 136:23-24
- Provider: Psalm 136:25
While we gather with our loved ones this week lets us keep in mind that the very food that is placed before us comes forth from the goodness and mercy of God. That is why we give thanks, for his mercy endures forever.
Music: I Am Going to Heaven by Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver.
Prayer Requests: Please pray for the following.
- Brian DeCann, Newport, Ky. Brian DeCann is a public safety chaplain for Shepherd Patrol Ministries in Newport, Ky. “Please pray for me as I prepare to retire in 2021. Please pray that God would continue to use me for my good and His glory.”
All my best.
But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.1 Corinthians 8:6
Join the Bible Bistro Mailing List
Get notified of menu changes in the Bistro that include. . .
- New book releases.
- New teaching content.
- Changes to the website.