Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily.Matthew 1:19
Dear Church and Friends,
Today and next week we’ll break from the normal routine of going back and forth, from Old Testament to New Testament. Instead we’ll look at passages suggested by the Advent calendar on my refrigerator. You never know what your going to get when you open up one of those panels. (To see the calendar make sure you watch the video.)
Our Advent meditation is about Joseph. Matthew gives us the majority of information about him, and most importantly, his character. What kind of a man was he? Into whose home will the Lord of Heaven and Earth place his son. Let me just pick out a few things for us to consider.
- He was an honorable man. When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. Joseph gave Mary a “ring and a date” as we might say. He proposed marriage and intended to honor her and her family with a wedding before they moved in together.
- He was a just man. Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, His relationship with the Lord was in good order. This is the foundation for everything that comes after verse 19.
- He tempered all he’d heard and all his actions toward Mary with mercy. and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily. Even though she apparently had sinned there was an option for him and her that didn’t include public shame.
- He wasn’t rash but considered all the alternatives. But while he thought on these things, His relationship with the Lord is what gave him a compassionate heart and a cool head.
- He was an obedient man. Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: He knew the voice of his master and when the angel said “take her” he resolved to do just that.He took Mary even in the face of public scorn for such a decision.
- He was a disciplined man. And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS. The angel said nothing about abstaining from the marriage bed. Joseph must have considered keeping the holy thing holy more important that his pleasure.
Joseph was honorable, just, merciful, considerate, obedient, and disciplined. He was a model of true manhood and of the ideal Christian husband. Men this is for us. Let us walk toward our wives in the way of Joseph, son of Jacob, son of Matthan.
Music: O Come, O Come Emmanuel & Come Thou Long Expected Jesus by the Petersens.
Prayer Requests: Please pray for the following.
- Juan and Maria Rodriguez, Cayey, Puerto Rico. Juan Rodriguez planted Iglesia Bautista de Buena Vista in Cayey, Puerto Rico. “Please pray for the care and protection of my wife and children and that God will help me be a good husband and father. Pray we will see the glory of God in the church and that I can serve with integrity. Pray that I may see God’s grace in difficult moments and that I will not deviate toward vain things. Pray God will help me overcome sin and preach with authority the grace of the gospel. Pray the Lord’s church will be built up in faith, hope and love in eternity. May we be instruments of God in bringing the gospel to the nations. May the Lord God raise up pastors in our local church. Thank you for your prayers.”
The Pastor’s Letter is coming to an end. The last one will be published on September 28, 2021.
Watch the Bible Bistro blog for an announcement on a new project for Fall of 2021.
All my best.
Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:Matthew 1:24
Join the Bible Bistro Mailing List
Get notified of menu changes in the Bistro that include. . .
- New book releases.
- New teaching content.
- Changes to the website.