To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.Titus 3:2
Dear Church and Friends,
We live in a very contentious time. The pandemic and political division have deepened the fractures between us. Encouragement to respond with violence is published daily and is a temptation, especially now. But how would the Lord have the church to behave?
Paul tells Titus that part of this sound doctrine must include an attitude of peace. Talk about an attitude of peace, check this out.
- “Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,” (Titus 3:1).
Notice that verse one is just a continuation of his instruction in chapter 2. The “them” were the aged men, aged women, younger women, younger men, and servants who were members of the church. Their responsibility was to be “subject,” to “obey,” and to “be ready.” These church members were to act this way under the capricious rule of Roman emperors. We have it so much better.
The apostle then takes things to the next stage. The words we use. We might confess that we are subject, obedient, and ready to do good things, but do our words betray that or confirm it.
- To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men (Titus 3:2).
It is possible to be a brawler in your speech. Violent, angry words issue from a violent, angry heart. This is not to be a part of the character of a Christian. We are meant for something higher – gentleness and meekness. Even though wicked men may abuse us the character of God should define us.
Remember, we don’t reserve this for our friends in the church, this is for all men!
Music: Psalm 150 by Matt Papa and Matt Boswell.
Prayer Request: Please pray for the following.
- Bhim Mangar, Akron, Ohio. Bhim Mangar planted Spirit of Joy Church in Akron, Ohio. “Please pray with us that God will provide for a need we have at Spirit of Joy Church.”
- Robert Kane, Columbus, Ohio. Robert Kane planted Citizens Church in Columbus, Ohio. “Pray the Lord will use us to faithfully proclaim His Word and make disciples who delight in Christ. Pray He will graciously provide us with partner churches who want to support the mission as we navigate this difficult terrain.”
- Jimmy Hoskins and his family, here in Cincinnati, who are caring for him.
- Jerry Teegarden , Laura and Mollie.
Craig’s Catechism: The Third Part of Our Belief
- Question 263: How does He dedicate us to godliness? Answer: He enlightens our minds, mollifies our hearts, and strengthens us.
- Question 264: What then is all flesh without the Spirit of God? Answer: Blind and dead in all heavenly things.
- Question 265: What other names has He in the Scriptures? Answer: He is called the Spirit of faith, regeneration, strength, and comfort.
All my best.
Join the Bible Bistro Mailing List
Get notified of menu changes in the Bistro that include. . .
- New book releases.
- New teaching content.
- Changes to the website.