And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.Luke 24:36
Dear Church and Friends,
Jesus surprised the disciples by appearing in their midst during a very dark moment for them. His words are still of great consequence for the church. He said, “Peace be unto you.” What delicious irony that at the moment of their greatest fear he said, “Peace.”
He still stands in the midst of the church and declares the same message. Just like he did on the lake, he calms all storms.
- “And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm” (Mark 4:38). See also Matthew 8:24 and Luke 8:23.
- “For they all saw him, and were troubled. And immediately he talked with them, and saith unto them, Be of good cheer: it is I; be not afraid” (Mark 6:50). See also Matthew 14:27.
We too are in a dark moment. A stormy time when everything familiar is tossed and disturbed. Fear seems to be everywhere. Jesus stands among us declaring his peace, and comforting by his very presence.
The church has this strength as Paul said, “Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:“ (Romans 5:1). It comes only from one source. Trust placed in anything else will fail.
Let’s take our eyes off of the darkness, the storm, the uncertainties of life and place them again on our Savior. Remember His words, “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).
Music: He Will Hold Me Fast by Keith and Kristyn Getty.
Prayer Requests: Please pray for our missionary Josh Valdez.
Craig’s Catechism: The Fourth Part of Our Belief.
- Question 283: How do these two graces differ? Answer: The first is perfect and the second imperfect.
- Question 284: What is the reason for that diversity? Answer: The first is in Christ, the second in us.
- Question 285: Are not both of these gifts ours? Answer: Yes, no doubt, seeing that Christ is ours.
All my best,
And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?Luke 24:38
Join the Bible Bistro Mailing List
Get notified of menu changes in the Bistro that include. . .
- New book releases.
- New teaching content.
- Changes to the website.