Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,Luke 24:45
Dear Church and Friends,
What is most important? We would all answer that question differently. I suppose it would depend on our age and station in life. Could you narrow it down to three things? My ten-year-old self would have said, “my baseball glove, pet beagle, and copy of Mad magazine.” However, today I’m sure I would answer differently.
What is most important for the church? Jesus gives us three things before his ascension in Luke’s gospel. These three are still important many years later. They don’t depend on age or station in life.
- First important thing – The Word of God: And said unto them, Thus it is written, (Luke 24:46a). He gave them the principle for understanding the scripture in 24:44. Christ is the theme of God’s revelation. All other interpretations are subordinate to that. He also gave them the ability to understand the scripture 24:45. So that both the power and the principle to handle the Word of God come from the Son of God.
- Second important thing – The Cross and Resurrection: and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: (Luke 24:46b). Preaching Christ and him crucified is the theme of the church’s story. Paul told the Corinthians the same thing, “For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God” (1 Corinthians 1:18). It is our Savior’s mandate that we lift up the cross of Christ.
- Third important thing – The Great Commission: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem (Luke 24:47). Once the cross is preached men will ask the question, “Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? (Acts 2:37). Just like Peter we must turn them to repentance with the hope of remission.
Nothing has intervened over the centuries to change these things. In a sense, every generation of believers is gathered with the disciples receiving this word from our risen Lord. Let us go forth holding to God’s word and boldly proclaiming the cross so that all men may come to the same saving knowledge that we enjoy.
Music: Grace by CityALight
Prayer Requests: Please pray for our missionaries Victor and Ludmila Moura.
Craig’s Catechism: The Fourth Part of Our Belief
- Question 286: May we not come to a full perfection in this life? Answer: No, for the flesh rebels continually against the Spirit.
- Question 287: Why does not the Spirit sanctify us perfectly? Answer: Lest we should forget our former captivity, and redemption.
- Question 288: What admonition are we given regarding our state? Answer: We should be humble, repent, and be thankful to our God.
All my best,
And ye are witnesses of these things.Luke 24:48
Join the Bible Bistro Mailing List
Get notified of menu changes in the Bistro that include. . .
- New book releases.
- New teaching content.
- Changes to the website.