And the spoilers came out of the camp of the Philistines in three companies:1 Samuel 13:17
Dear Church and Friends,
It has long been a tactic of warfare to use “spoilers” or raiders to cause confusion, damage, and fear behind enemy lines. These units are fast, small, and nimble. Able to move quickly while causing a crippling disturbance. This serves to keep the opponent off balance, wondering where the next attack might come from.
Israel faced a daunting challenge with the Philistines massed at Michmash. Add to this the raiders running into their territory away from the battle front and you can imagine the chaos.
Saul didn’t have enough people to defend every front. Which one was the right one to put his men? He couldn’t defeat the multitude, so large it was compared to the sand by the sea shore. What to do?
The answer: trust in the Lord. The Devil uses the same tactics against us. He attacks on multiple fronts so as not to reveal his hand. Don’t try to figure him out. Take the situation to the Lord and rest in him. Here’s a little encouragement from David on the matter.
- “Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday. Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil. For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the Lord, they shall inherit the earth. For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.” (Psalm 37:1-10)
Music: He Leadeth Me performed by the Norton Hall Band.
Prayer Request: Luke and Jordan Brungardt, Riverside, Calif.
- Luke Brungardt is a collegiate/university missionary serving at California Baptist University in Riverside, Calif. “Please pray for us as we prepare for our first full year of collegiate ministry. Please pray that many students will respond to the gospel and follow Christ faithfully, taking their commitment to Him seriously. Pray they would seek to grow into disciples who make disciples. Also, please pray God will provide a small house in Riverside for Jordan and me to use for life-on-life discipleship with students.”
Craig’s Catechism: How the Church is to be Known.
- Question 331: What kind of life is promised to us? Answer: Life eternal without any misery.
- Question 332: What is prepared for the wicked? Answer: Death eternal without any joy.
- Question 333: Yet they will live eternally? Answer: That life will be to live in eternal death.
All my best,
Now there was no smith found throughout all the land of Israel: for the Philistines said, Lest the Hebrews make them swords or spears:1 Samuel 13:19
Join the Bible Bistro Mailing List
Get notified of menu changes in the Bistro that include. . .
- New book releases.
- New teaching content.
- Changes to the website.