And he said, O Lord God of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me good speed this day, and shew kindness unto my master Abraham.Genesis 24:12
Dear Church and Friends,
We can’t see the future. No surprise there but that doesn’t keep us from looking to the future and worrying about what it will bring. In Genesis 24 Abraham sends out his servant to find a wife for Isaac.
Once he was on his way didn’t trust in good luck or fortune. He didn’t trust in his master’s wisdom or his good favor. He turned to the Lord and looked to him to direct his way. And guess what, the Lord did just that.
We must be willing to let go of the controls and place them in His hands. That is easier said than done but Abraham’s servant gives a great model by which to order ourselves when faced with the unknown.
- He tells the Lord his condition. “Behold, I stand here by the well of water; and the daughters of the men of the city come out to draw water” (verse 13).
- He had a plan for these young ladies. “And let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say, Let down thy pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink” (verse 14).
- He looked for a simple kindness. “and she shall say, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also” (verse 14).
- He placed all this in the Lord’s hands. “let the same be she that thou hast appointed for thy servant Isaac” (verse 14).
- He repeats his guiding principle, which was kindness to Abraham, and joins it to the Lord’s sovereign work. “and thereby shall I know that thou hast shewed kindness unto my master” (verse 14).
We too must put all our ways before then Lord. Let him be the judge of whether we succeed in our task or not. Let him show us the way we must walk, the well we are to stand by and the conversations we should have. Let him do this for the glory of his Son.
Music: The Reward of His Suffering by Matt Papa.
Prayer Requests: Please pray for the following.
- Hannah Paul’s mother is declining. She is very weak and not able to walk. She has problems swallowing.
- Tony Claypool’s sister, Gayla. She will be having cancer screening for a recently discovered growth.
Catechism: Craig’s Catechism (1581) [4. The First Part of God’s Honor.]
Question 90: But we are unworthy and guilty?
Answer: Therefore we apprehend His promise in Christ.
Question 91: What are the principle things in His Promise?
Answer: They are contained in our belief, called the Creed of the Apostles.
All my best.
And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham’s brother, with her pitcher upon her shoulder.Genesis 24:15
Join the Bible Bistro Mailing List
Get notified of menu changes in the Bistro that include. . .
- New book releases.
- New teaching content.
- Changes to the website.